Baby quilt

Quilt dimension: 40″X50″
Binding: 2″ double binding
Fabric: printed fabric sent by a quilting friend , yellow and white from the stash, hand dyed binding fabric
Purpose: Gift for sis’ friend who recently had a baby girl

The quilt top was complete a long time back and was waiting in my cupboard to be quilted and bound.This Saturday I found time to quilt it with butterflies and bind it with a hand dyed yellow poplin.

Butterfly quilt

Butterfly quilt

Here it lies on my sofa in all its splendour!


I like the pop of yellow in between and the fact that I could use the printed fabric productively. Its not my kind of modern, but I wanted to test if I could convert it into something beautiful and quilty!


I was looking for an easy FMQ design to cover up the white sashing and the butterflies just seemed so apt :) Am glad how they turned out and the way the yellow quilting complements the yellow blocks…initially, I wanted to try a darker shade of yellow so taht it shows on the white but later decided to go with the thread that matches the fabric. I am glad I did, as a chrome or ochre quilting would have looked out of place.

Yellow butterflies

Yellow butterflies

Note: A simple fabric can be elevated using a pop of colour and appropriate quilting …

Happy with the August finish :) and a perfect quilt for a little one to brighten up her rainy day !!

Ombre Flying Geese Quilt

Ombre Flying Geese Quilt

August is dedicated to Flying Geese and I planned to make a baby quilt. That was the target. I bought these lovely ombre over the previous weekend and 15 days down the line, one 4 day holiday inbetween, and I have completed the quilt …

Feel like giving myself a  small pat in the back!

Its possibly the fastest project in terms of time elapsed between ‘fabric to quilt top’ and then ‘fabric to final quilt’. Actually I already had this project in mind, so when I saw the fabric I just jumped on it and grabbed it with both hands… ha ha ha


A note on Flying geese blocks to myself so I don’t forget the basics.

Note: There are 2 types of fabric used in a  flying Geese block. The larger fabric belongs to the geese and the smaller one to the sides. Neutral is usually the sides for me, so neutrals need to be cut into 4 smaller pieces and the geese in one large piece. The width of the block is twice the height. The large fabric size= required width of block+1.24″(mine are 11.25″) and the small fabric is half that+.7/8″(mine were 5 7/8″). These gave me 4 geese in each set, 3 I used for this quilt and one remains as an extra.

The quilt is double bound with 2″ straight cut tape in the darkest shade of pink used in the quilt.

Time taken from start to finish: 12 days.

The inspiration is from  Andrea’s quilt which in turn is from City stitches with changes in size and direction of geese.

Ombre Flying Geese Quilt

Ombre Flying Geese Quilt

I have been quilting for a while but I had never tried flying geese blocks…was always intimidated by the thought of them.

Alison Glass Flying Geese

Alison Glass Flying Geese

When the idea of making a mini quilt came up,the Alison Glass mini quilt swap on Instagram I decided to give it a try with the lovely Alison Glass fabric. The hand embroidered centre is flanked by flying geese on all sides.

Alison Glass hand embroidery

Alison Glass hand embroidery

And here is the finished mini!

Alison Glass mini quilt

Alison Glass mini quilt

My partner would love some goodies so I posted her some Indian Fabric and border, a frixion pen with zippers and a pouch along with the mini.

Alison Glass mini quilt swap

Alison Glass mini quilt swap

HD went to Chennai and brought home some amazing quilting fabric.

The condition: to make a quilt for his friend’s cute ‘lil 3 year old daughter, Akshaya. What a deal ha ha…like I ever said no to making quilts!!

That’s a perfect win-win situation :)

image image

This quilt was started in October last year and the quilt top was ready. However, shortly after that it went into my craft cupboard and sat there until now :)
This week I decided to complete it and here it is with my nascent FMQ skills showing through the seems . literally :D

Here is a brief post on the quilt top !

A picture of the full quilt…


All folded and ready to go…


Am linking it to WIP Wednesday

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

Its almost the end of the month and my Plus quilt is _finally_ showing some traction. The first row of Plus’ are pieced but then I realized that I hadn’t cut enough of the white fabric yet to take the quilt ahead, so back to the cutting board to cut some more charm squares in shades of blue and pure white. Think the quilt will turn out to be gorgeous.


Linking it to WIP wednesday

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced<a href="

Yet another goodie bag and in the true nature of Valentine’s day…predominated by the colour of red. Here is a surprise that came in the very next day. A bag of gifts from Singer with a notepad, calendar, 2 pens, 4 pencils and some pamphlets. Its so sweet of the Singer folks to send me stuff.

And on another note, my fusion crochet blanket seems to be progressing well. 2 days and 2 pieces ready ! That’s the fastest that any project has ever moved :)
Some quick math shows that if I continued with the present pace of completing one block a day, a 24 piece blanket would be ready in a month with a week to spare for joining the blocks together. I feel nostalgic calculating like this…back in school and college, while revising for an upcoming exam, I would calculate and recalculate the pace of revision required to complete the entire course…sometimes I proved the calculation right, sometimes not…but it was fun to calculate.
If I increase the quilt size it to a square 6X6 quilt, even then, the quilt should be done by march end.

Next Page »


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 57 other followers