Quilt Size: 90″X110″
Fabric : Indian Rajasthani
Made this lovely large quilt over the weekend. The top is a simple design with a long centre strip of 42″ width, lined with 2 solid blue strips of 6″ wide and then flanked with again a small print of 42″ width cut lengthwise into two parts and joined on either side. Adjusted and trimmed to 90″. The length was 110″. The quilt top came together rather quickly, one morning the fabric was cut and the subsequent morning the top was stiched. The back however, wasn’t as easy to put together. The top band was in printed fabric(half and half) while the lower part was Blue solid. Indian solids are 36″ wide so by the time you remove the selvage and join it to make a quilt back, you get to 36″. So a bit of school arithmetic was put to use before I had a quilt back to match the top.
The real challenge however was to quilt a quilt this big in a small home sewing machine. I tried thread basting partially and pin basting for the rest. Later, completed the quilting with straight line quilting. And all through the two days that took me to complete the quilting and binding, I just kept thinking how large the quilt was.
When completed, I took a sigh of relief. And smiled to myself. This is the first time that I have finished such a large quilt. Small baby steps towards my goal of becoming an accomplished quilter :) Just that, this step wasn’t a small one by any stretch of my imagination…ha ha ha
I would say, the binding of the quilt was my greatest achievement.I got some good reviews from my quilting friends on this aspect. My earlier quilts have sometimes turned wavy or have pleats on account of inappropriate binding.So little note here on what I did to overcome my lacunae.
I took 2.5″ width of binding fabric in solid blue and cut it in strips that were as long as my fabric permitted. Then I took each strip, folded it in half lengthwise and ironed it to get a strip 1.25″ wide and as long as the fabric.Each additional length of 2.5″ strip was joined to the earlier one at right angles with right sides together so that the seam join doesn’t bulk up when the binding is spread out. I kept joining strips until I reached a length that cover the perimeter of the quilt, and then some more.
Perimeter of Ocean Blue= 2X(110+90)=400″
So my binding strip was a little more than 400″, around 415″ would suffice for the mitered corners! Since I was machine binding the quilt, I joined my binding on the wrong side of the fabric aligning the open edges of the binding strip and the quilt. I sewed around with a .25″ seam allowance. Once the entire perimeter was done, I turned it over on the right side and held it down with pins to ensure it doesn’t stretch. Finally I sewed the top with a decorative strict in a contrast thread. If I had used a straight stitch, then I would have used a thread matching the binding fabric.
Hope the binding details are useful. Please drop me a line of you